11.12.2009

Manang Flor's Tsokolate

Incessant rain and wind for the last three days, Ugh!
 Not even my fab OTK boots and shearling vest make me want to leave the comfort of my flannel pajamas for a London Fog latte run to Starbucks. While going through the fridge, the sight of three packs of tablea (cocoa chunks native to the Philippines) readily suggested that  some hot dark cocoa would make the appropriate dreary weather antidote.
Exhibit A - tablea my mom special ordered from her tablea maker
Exihibit B - Megan's tablea from a Cebu grocery store

I grew up drinking tsokolate for breakfast the way my Mamalo's (how we call our Grandma) cook, Manang Flor, makes it and serves in my favorite Donald Duck cup.  Manang Flor played a great role during my formative years in shaping my love and appreciation for food. She executed Mamalo's instructions to home cooked perfection by consistently churning out a full breakfast spread and five balanced meals twice a day. God bless her heart, she has outlived the mistress of the household and continues to live with the family.

(photo courtesy of candy mag)

The implements to use when making Philippine style hot chocolate is the batidor and chocolatera.
Mine are in storage so a normal pot with a whisk or my Ikea frother worked but it takes away the pomp. I chanced into Market Manila's food blog where he wrote about making hot chocolate and using  batidors et al on one post and here are his photos:

 

Burnt Lumpia, Filipino food blogger, waxed historic and alcoholic with his version.
Here are his photos:
the cinnamon sticks add a nice touch
 
Filipino Russian

However, I just waxed sentimental as I sipped a strong semblance of Manang Flor's brew with 8 pcs. of Exhibit A tablea, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of 2% milk.*  It was rich and a bit gritty and would have been perfect with some puto (rice cakes) or churros (the way the Spanish take it) . Tonight, I will try Exhibit B with just milk and keep myself warm with memories of 46 Sindulan St., Mabolo where my dear Mamalo once lived.

*Most people add sugar but I like it dark and bitter since I have the memories to make it sweet.




1 comment:

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

"Most people add sugar but I like it dark and bitter since I have the memories to make it sweet."...that is so touching! :)

Thanks so much for your comment on HoT with all those great suggestions! I cannot wait to try some of them out!