11.20.2010

Think Pink





I've been in West Palm Beach for a week to visit with family and do a bit of work under the sun. As much as I love Fall, a tropical girl needs a constant shot of sunny vistas and palms shooting the breeze. I was here last December to celebrate my birthday and spend the holidays. I am reminded how quickly time flies and how the pursuit of time relentlessly fills my days.  My aunt gave me this gorgeous book, The Sundial Ticking, two years ago with poems by Theodore Plotkin and art by Edna Hibel. It is a great collaboration between real life partners.  








Someone asked me in High Point where she can get this book. It was published in 1978 by JAR Publishers, my recent search results led me to 3 sites: EbayAmazonAlibris. You can find more information about Edna Hibel's works here.

I added a splash of pink to our grey and orange vignette in High Point to celebrate breast cancer awareness last month. My late grandmother and aunt are both survivors so the cause is personally dear to me. I also wrote about it last year when I dedicated a post to a good friend and mentor who is continuing to fight it bravely. I made this for her from Subversive Cross Stitch. Thinking pink is not only for October but all year round and I've scheduled my mammogram for next month. 



I dried some roses to layer the sweet-subversive look.


Sometimes, niceties just don't cut it. 


My friends at Irwin Feld Design had a Fall celebration to support the cause and custom made this glamacious bench. It is available for purchase at $1800 with all proceeds going to Komen Connecticut. A perfect multitasking accent piece that will inject mid century modern style into your home. Please contact them for details. 






It's no secret that I love to shop and gift shopping is an all year round affair wherever my travels or online jaunts take me for special and just because occasions. I have a long list of loved ones and personalities to pick for and I try to be original and thoughtful. It's a big plus when it's for a cause. Perhaps my most eco friendly and stylish find for bags is Sally Ferebee's SewFew line.  I love how each bag complements the different personalities in my book. Light and great for travel, it immediately adds a punch to a cocktail dress or basic t-jeans-heels outfit. It is the whimsical and original find amongst your row of ubiquitous IT bags. If you live in or near Greenville, SC ,there is a holiday bazaar going on right now. Participating artists are giving 10% of proceeds to favorite charities. 


Textiles. Reincarnated.


 SewFew transforms fabulous fabric remnants and scraps 
into sassy purses, zipper pouches and smart sacks. 



Chic, striking and accented with vintage 
brooches and embellishments, 



All are truly one-of-a-kind... 
just like the fashion-forward ladies who carry them.


I attempted to style the bags at her home
 on my last visit and took these photos.
Bags are instantly snatched so 
please contact her for the latest creations.


"It all started with two simple observations: I saw too many beautiful fabric samples and swatches being thrown in the trash... and I saw too many ladies carrying mediocre handbags. Appalling, right? SewFew was born as a solution to both of those ridiculous situations. Easy on the environment, and easy on the eyes, SewFew bags prove just how sexy eco-friendly style can be." ---- Sally Ferebee 






No comments: